Northern Colorado Winter Kids Activities
10 Tips to Beating the Winter Blues!
Staying inside day after day with the kids bouncing off the walls can drive you to the brink of insanity! Here are some tips to stay sane, burn some of that energy, and to keep them learning throughout the long winter months:
1. Get outside! It takes time to bundle everyone up and finally make it out the door but it’s worth it! Go sledding or build a snowman. Get crafty and let your kids paint the snowman with a water and food color mixture!
2. Dance Party! Get dressed in silly clothes, turn up the tunes and shake your little grove thing. This will burn energy and is sure to produce some laughs. Encourage body awareness by moving different parts like the Hokey Pokey and Head Shoulders Knees and Toes.
3. Craft Corner! Getting crafty is a fun way to pass the time. Use paints, stamps, and stickers. Try making your own play dough! Mix 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of salt, and 1/2 cup of water.
4. Indoor Fun! Use large boxes to store some toys in and exchange toys out when the kids get board. It will feel like a new toy all over again! Or get out of the house and check out a bounce house, indoor play gym, or just go to the pet store and walk around. Northside Aztlan has Tot Gym and Baby Gym times and so does the Windsor recreation center.
5. Kitchen Time! Get the kids involved in making a fun healthy snack. Like ants on a log with celery, peanut butter, and raisins. Check out some more fun recipes from the
Baby Food Doctor
6. Play Dates! This is not just for the kids to socialize but you too. If you don’t have friends with kids find a play group in your area. Here at NoCo Tots we have a playgroup you can join under “Community” select “Moms Groups” for meeting times and locations it is free and fun! See our
NoCo Tots Meetup page
for our complete activity calendar
7. Take a Class! What interests your little one? There are lots of classes to look into: music, dance, gymnastics, art, cooking, etc. The Gardens at Spring Creek have toddler “Read and Seed” with story and craft.
8. Story Time! There is a story time every day. Find the one that works with your schedule and spend time before or after picking out new books for home.
9. Explore the House! Play hide and seek, eye spy, or the hot and cold game hiding a toy. Look for things that are soft, hard, fuzzy, hot, cold, or practice colors. Make a new house building a fort out of blankets to have a snack in it.
10. What’s That Smell? The sense of smell always gets overlooked when learning. Spend time at your spice rack smelling the different scents, use candles, air fresheners, lotions or anything else you can find. You will be amazed how much your little one enjoys this activity.
These tips were provided to you by: Megan Pighetti Au Pair Care Area Director. For more information on how an au pair can provide these activities and more in your home please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
For up to the minute information, please
“Like” us on facebook
to see regular tips to having fun and learning!
Return to NoCo Tots Homepage